– Honors Graduate from the Atlanta Institute of Music and Media.
– 2.5 years classical percussion studies at North Greenville University.
– Studied percussion privately at Furman University.
– Studied privately with acclaimed drummer Jeff Sipe.
– Percussion Captain at Mauldin High School.
– Percussion section leader, Carolina Youth Symphony.
– Winner of statewide drumset competition, 1987.
– Awarded title of Rudimentalist of Year, 1988.
– Recipient of the John Philip Sousa award, 1994.
– Has been teaching music since 1992.
– Served as Percussion Instructor for various High School and Middle School drumlines from 1993-2003.
– Currently plays with numerous combos and bands in: Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Funk, and Latin styles.
– Specializes in teaching: technique, time development, rudiments, music reading, and stylistic versatility.
– Has taught at Eastside Guitars since 2000.
– Currently teaches music as an adjunct instructor at North Greenville University.
Tony is known around the store for his quiet, reserved demeanor. He is well known for his ability to play and teach a variety of musical styles. Tony is good with all levels of drum and percussion students. When not teaching, Tony enjoys working out, watching comedies, and just hanging out with friends. In addition to his musical experience, Tony has also earned an Associate’s Degree in Myo-Therapy from Greenville Technical College. Tony currently performs with several bands including: The Horizon Praise Band, since 1999. Funkshua, (a jazz-funk fusion jam band), Professors of Soul, the Calvin Edwards Trio, and a salsa group entitled Alma de Candela.
I have been playing percussion and studying music for over 20 years. While I’ve received a lot of formal training, I accredit much of my early musical knowledge to my brother Austin who had many years of piano, violin, saxophone, and guitar experience as well as a wealth of music theory under his belt. I later went on to study percussion at Brevard College under Dr. Laura Franklin where I received honors with a BA General Music degree in 2016. I am currently pursuing an MFA in Film Scoring and Composition from The Academy of Art University.
I have teaching experience as a K-6 general music teacher, a high school percussion director, a marching band percussion tech, a private lessons instructor, and have worked with many special needs children. I’ve also been a guest member in the Spartanburg Symphony Orchestra and toured with a praise and worship band in 2014.
Since moving to Greenville, South Carolina in 2017, I have consistently performed with many local acts that travel throughout the south-east. I’m also proudly endorsed by Vater Drumsticks, 1710 Percussion, Vratim, and TnR products.
It’s truly a blessing to get to teach and perform music for a living. I’m not here to make it big. I just want to be kind, create, polish my craft, and share some of the knowledge that I’ve been very lucky to obtain. — Gavin